Berwick's high street (Marygate) is dominated by the imposing Town Hall,
built in the 1750s ny the Guild of Berwick, which governed the Borough from
the Middle Ages until 1835.
The building houses the Guildhall, the colonnaded Buttermarket and the old town gaol. The 18th century cell block has been restored and can be visited as part of the guided tour that is available throughout the summer.