Berwick's town walls continued to be patrolled and its gates locked at night
until the end of the Napoleonic wars. In the 18th century there were military
guardhouses at strategic points in the town.
The Main Guard stood in the high street, but was relocated to its present position beside the Quay Walls in 1815. It now houses exhibitions of local history, opened to the public in the summer months by Berwick Civic Society.